This tutorial shows how to run an ANSYS Savant Simulation is experimentation, testing scenarios, and making... More in batch mode on Rescale’s ScaleX platform. Once you are comfortable with the Rescale platform, you can tailor the workflow to suit your needs. For basics on Rescale batch, please refer to our guide.
This tutorial is based on a simulation of wide-band antenna coupling (isolation) between two antennas located on an E-2C aircraft.
To obtain the files needed to follow this tutorial, click on the “Job Setup” link below and clone the job hosting the file. Next, click the “Save” icon to have a copy of the files in your Rescale cloud files.
Note : although you can run this job directly, to continue with this tutorial do not submit it directly. We are cloning the job in order to import the simulation input archived file
test.savant.7z into your account. You can also obtain the results of the job by clicking on “Get Job Results”.
- Start by selecting the “Desktops” option in the Rescale platform Web UI.
- Select “New Custom Desktop” button in the upper left hand corner. This should take you to the Desktop Configuration page. Give the Desktop a name. Here we’ve named this desktop “ANSYS Savant Desktop”.
- Under “1. Choose Configuration”, select the basic Windows configuration.
- Expand the drop-down menu for “2. Add Software.” Search for or select from the menu: ANSYS Savant Desktop.
- A “Select License – ANSYS Savant Desktop” pop-up menu should now appear. Enter your appropriate ANSYS license information and click “ok” to continue.
- You can now also select which version of Savant you want to use. We will choose 19.0 for this tutorial.
- Expand the drop-down menu for “3. Add Jobs”. Again, you can search for or select from the menu the job you cloned: ANSYS Savant Tutorial. Click “Add” under actions.
- You can then begin to launch the desktop by clicking on the “Launch” button in the lower right hand corner of the page. This should bring up a confirmation dialog.
- If the settings appear to be correct, click “Launch” in this menu to start the desktop a server is a computer program that provides services to oth... More. This process should take approximately 5-10 minutes to spin up a new Windows server An Amazon Virtual Machine More. Please refresh the page every few minutes to update the status of the server. In the “4. Logs” menu once the message “Server(s) Started” is reported the desktop should be ready to use.
- Click on the “Connect” button to bring up the connection options. You can choose to connect using your own Windows RDP client or an the “In-Browser Desktop” that we will use in this case. Please refer to our guide for more information about Windows RDP and/or configuring a Rescale Desktop.
For running an ANSYS Savant Job, we need to create a
.savant.7z project archive file from the ANSYS Electronics desktop. You can create this file on your local ANSYS Electronics desktop. Rescale also offers the Remote Desktop option, where you can launch an ANSYS Savant desktop to use the software as it’s explained in the next section below.
- Once connected to the Windows desktop, launch ANSYS Savant by double clicking the Savant 19.0 shortcut found on the desktop.
- On the desktop, navigate to attached_jobs > [job-folder] > input. The input folder will contain the archived project in
.savant.7zformat. Right click on this and select ” 7-Zip > Extract here.. ” option. A
.savantproject folder will be created in the current directory.
- To open the Savant project, on the Savant GUI, click on File > Open Project and navigate to the input folder where you can choose the extracted
- If you want to use you own ANSYS Savant project, you can upload the project to Rescale cloud and download it on the Savant desktop you launched. Please refer to the File Transfer section for Uploading to Rescale Cloud Files and Downloading from Rescale Cloud Files.
- After you have made the necessary changes to your Savant case file, save the project in the desired location.
- Before we proceed, we must archive this project folder. Zip/Archive this folder by right-clicking on the folder and choosing 7-Zip > Add to archive…. The project will be saved as a
- Before we proceed, we must archive this project folder. Zip/Archive this folder by right-clicking on the
.savantproject folder and choosing 7-Zip > Add to archive…. The project will be saved as a
- If you created the archived
.savant.7zfile from a Rescale Desktop, you can now upload the file to Rescale by clicking on the “Cloud Files” icon on the desktop. Select the option to “Upload from this computer”. Navigate to the path of the file and select the newly archived
- If you created the archived simulation project from your local desktop environment, you can upload the file similarly from the Web UI Files option.
Since we have prepared our simulation and uploaded the file back to the Rescale Cloud, we are done using our ANSYS Savant GUI for the time being. We can now shutdown this Desktop instance. You can choose to keep the instance running to perform post-processing after the simulation is completed.
- In the Rescale Web UI, select “Desktops”.
- Check the “Select”box under your Desktop instance. This instance should be easily identified if you provided it a name earlier.
- Click the red “Terminate” button near the top of the page to shutdown this instance.
- For a guide on using the Rescale desktop please refer to our guide here
This section will show how to submit the archived
.savant.7z that you created from ANSYS Savant GUI. To start a new job, login to the Rescale platform and click on + New Job button on the top left corner. For more information on launching a basic job, please refer to the tutorial here.
- First, you need to include the input files needed for the batch run. For the ANSYS Savant case, we need to include the archived
.savant.7zfile which we created as shown in the previous section.
- If you created the archived project locally, you can use the Upload from this computer option. If you have the input project on the Rescale cloud, click on Use files from a simple and scalable way to store, access, and share data o... More and search for the project you created. After including the input files, click on software settings option.
- Since you uploaded an archived
.savant.7zproject, Rescale automatically detects this and decompresses it before the batch run. Make sure that the check mark beside the decompress option is selected.
- In the software settings page, search for ANSYS Savant software and click on it.
- The Analysis Option window opens up where you can select the software version and edit the command to run a ANSYS Savant batch job. For this tutorial we choose 19.0 as the version for ANSYS Savant. In the command line, replace the ** ** placeholder with your project name. Type with just the
.savantextension and not the archived extension since Rescale automatically extracts before the batch run.
- In the hardware settings page, you can specify the an individual processing unit within a multicore processor o... More type and number of cores. For this example, we will choose the core type as Emerald and number of cores = 8. You can find a summary of the hardware on the right side of the jot setup page.
- There is no need to specify any “Post Processing” options for this tutorial.
- After reviewing your selections, your case should now be ready for batch submission at this point.
- Click the blue “Submit” button in the top right corner on any of the job configuration pages or in the middle of the “Review” page.
- Alternatively, instead of submitting the job, you can elect to “Save” the problem setup to be run at some later time.
- You can monitor the status of your job and get information about your A computing cluster consists of a set of loosely or tightly ... More in real-time. Here you can see the live-tailing of the output process_output.log as the case begins to run:
- A guide on “Monitoring Status” on Rescale can be found here.
- Once the job has completed its run, you can “Download” all of the output files from the “Results” page. You can also launch another Savant Desktop and attach this job to perform post-processing.
- A guide on “Managing your Job Results” on Rescale ca be found here.
- When you attach the completed job, Rescale will create two folders – input and run1 inside the desktop > attached_job > [job folder] folder. The run1 folder will contain the results savant project
- To view the results, open ANSYS Savant desktop and navigate to **File > Open project **. Navigated to the run1 folder and choose the
.savantproject folder. The results will automatically be loaded into ANSYS Savant GUI along with the setup. You can proceed to post process on the software.